Thursday, July 16, 2015

Massive Chalice Review

So I downloaded Massive Chalice when it was FREE last month using my Xbox Live Gold and I do not regret it. It's now back up to $19.99 and I would definitely spend that to play it. That being said if you play on an xbox (360 or One) I highly recommend updating your membership to Gold. You can do so on Amazon for $44 for a whole year, and the free games are absolutely worth it.

Disclaimer: I adore turn by turn RPG's. Playing God is pretty much as good as it gets for me in the gaming universe.

MASSIVE CHALICE is a tactical strategy game set on an epic timeline from Double Fine Productions. As the Immortal Ruler of the Nation, you'll take command of its heroes, forge marriages to strengthen your Bloodlines, and battle a mysterious enemy known as the Cadence in a war lasting hundreds of years.

Some key features include:

  • Bloodline Genetics - MASSIVE CHALICE features an innovative Bloodline system that allows the player to marry heroes together to produce children. The Bloodline system uses a randomized genetic code for every hero. Their children can end up with the best gameplay-impacting traits inherited from their parents… or they could inherit the worst ones.
    This to me is one of the best parts of the game. I find myself paying close attention to the traits of all those I put in power, and try to balance out what my nation is going to look like for generations. While trying produce the most of my favorite character types (more on that later)
  • Permadeath - The heroes in MASSIVE CHALICE age over the course of the timeline and eventually pass away. This forces the player to engage in the beauty of permadeath and always juggle an imperfect party of heroes with which to do battle!
    (Spoiler alert: You can later train an update that allows your heroes to live longer and it totally revamps the game)
  • Bloodline Relics - If a hero has fought valiantly enough when they inevitably pass away, their weapon has a chance to become a Bloodline Relic. This powerful Relic can be passed down to any character of the same house in order to carry on the legacy of the fallen hero!
    This part of the game didn't particularly impress me. It's a cool feature but I thought the game would be just as good without it. Although, it is cool seeing the relics gain power as they pass from generation to generation.
  • Long View Strategy - Because the war lasts 300 years, players need to take a long view of their strategy. Decisions have to be made dozens of years in advance and long-term planning is incredibly important. That 3-year-old toddler is going to grow up to be your most reliable melee fighter sooner than you think! But how long will they stay that way?
    So this is both cool, and awful at the same time. On the one hand I know I have to balance everything out for the future. On the other hand if I'm not constantly saving one small mistake can ruin  me for generations. WHOLE LANDS LOST TO THE CADENCE

The commentary from my 2 little chalice dwellers is both hilarious AND helpful (sometimes).


The game play graphics are actually pretty impressive considering the type of game it is.

Overall, Massive Chalice provides humour, challenging strategy and a genuinely interesting base management system, and handles all of its various elements with confidence and aplomb.

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment