- How much can you expect to make in your career field immediately after graduation?
- 5 years after graduation?
- How much will you need to take out in student loans? Factor in what your family can contribute, what you can afford, and scholarships you qualify for.
- After college will you be able to pay back your student loans in a timely manner, while paying rent and utilities in your area?
- When, if ever, will you be able to retire based on your payment plan?
- How passionate are you about the field you want to be in? Will you come home happy at the end of the day?
- Do you actually need a degree to get into your career field? A lot of fields do NOT require a degree, and offer entry level positions without one. Some of these companies will allow you to climb the corporate ladder without getting a degree and in many cases you can be where you would be (if not higher) with a four degree in the time it would take you to get said degree.
- Is it at all possible that you could get an entry level position at a company that reimburses for tuition? This is the sweetest deal available. These companies obviously value their employees and will HELP you make more money without putting yourself in massive debt.
In summation: don't go to college just because everyone is telling you you have to.