Sunday, September 27, 2015

Souls, death and the afterlife

No energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed.
All your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that has been will forever remain in this world. All the photons that have ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths have been interrupted by your smile, or the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, race off like children, their ways forever changed by you. Scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is will ever be gone, just less orderly. 

The structure of the universe itself, and the laws, forces, and constants therein appear to be fine-tuned for life, implying intelligence existed prior to matter. I believe we carry space and time around with us "like turtles with shells." meaning that when the shell comes off (space and time), we still exist. People identify themselves with their body, but I feel that we are so much more. There is a part of humanity, that science cannot yet explain (although Quantum Biologists are certainly trying). I like to refer to it as the soul. While neuroscience has made tremendous progress illuminating the functioning of the brain, why we have a subjective human experience remains mysterious. The problem of the soul lies exactly here, in understanding the nature of the self, the "I" in existence that feels and lives life. This isn't just a problem for biology and cognitive science, but for the whole of Western natural philosophy itself. Biocentrism and other scientific theories ask some of the difficult questions about life: Is there a soul? Does anything endure the ravages of time?

Everything we experience – including all the colors, sensations and objects we perceive – are nothing but representations in our mind. Space and time are simply the mind's tools for putting it all together. Recent experimentation in quantum physics, that I don't totally understand, indicate objects only exist with real properties if they are observed. This not only defies classical intuition, but suggests that a part of the mind – the soul – is immortal and exists outside of space and time.

Human consciousness may be yet another state of matter like liquid or solid, but quantum. I don't have time to explain it all here, but if you're interested read this article.

Some scientists postulate that in fact when we die in this dimension our soul may continue to live in many other dimensions simultaneously.

Regardless, I believe in the human soul because I can't explain how I know when my children are hurt, even if they aren't with me. There is a piece of me that even with all I know about neuroscience, and genetics I cannot explain. I know it's there because I feel it, and I truly hope that I will be alive to see the day that scientists crack the code.

No comments:

Post a Comment