Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Easy DIY No Sew Curtains

You will need:

  •  fabric
  •  one roll of Stitch Witchery (can be found at craft and fabric stores)
  •  iron
  •  ironing board
  •  small, thin, damp cotton cloth
  •  curtain rod
  •  drapery clip rings


1.) Measure your window. Curtains look best when they are hung high and wide. With that said, measure how high you want your curtains hung as well as the width of your window. Record your measurements and make sure you take them to the fabric store. If you're not sure what length will look best go with an extra 3 inches than you think you'll need and have someone else hold them up for you to decide what looks best.

2.) Head to the nearest fabric store and shop away! If you happen to live in the Greater Orlando area check out The Sewing Studio. They are so patient with me every time I go in. (I did have to get my drapery clip rings at WalMart though) Be sure to choose your fabric wisely. Curtains really make a statement, so make sure the color and design are exactly what you want. I like to pull each bolt off the shelf and compare my favorites side-by-side before I make my final selection.

3.) Purchase the correct amount of fabric (feel free to ask anyone who works at the store for help in terms of calculating yardage) and also one large roll of Stitch Witchery (this stuff is magical).

4.) Measure the window one last time and cut (yikes!) your fabric into two equal-sized panels. (Measure twice cut once) Remember you will be “hemming” both the top and the bottom part of the panel, so account for one inch on both ends.

5.) Fold over 1/2 inch of fabric and iron a small seam all the way around each side of the panel. A half inch will be roughly the size of your stitch witchery.


6.)  Insert the stitch witchery inside the seam and press down with the iron for 10-15 seconds in each spot. Slowly iron around the entire panel until the stitch witchery holds  all the seams together. I kept the fabric relatively damp during this process to be sure the fabric didn't burn

7.) Hang the panel on the curtain rod using drapery clip rings (space about 4 inches apart) and Hurray! You have just made a no-sew curtain panel.



These were my first ever curtains, and I was so glad not to have to get kitchen themed curtains for my bedroom. Next time I will buy more fabric so the curtains will be a little longer and bunch more. Overall I was satisfied with my results. I got the idea from restoredstyle.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment