Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Just Cause 3 Review

• Explore a Mediterranean island paradise with complete vertical freedom – skydive, BASE jump and free dive in an open world with virtually zero limits • Glide through the air and swoop across mountains with your Wingsuit giving a new way to rain death from above • Use your Grapple and Parachute to scale buildings, hijack vehicles, move quickly or tether objects together for creative new ways to cause Chaos. • Cause massive chains of destruction in military bases, harbours, prisons, police stations and communications facilities to bring down a dictator • Arm yourself with a wide range of explosive weaponry from shotguns and missile launchers to tank-busters and air-strikes • Choose from a huge variety of different vehicles to drive including speedboats, jets, helicopters, turbo-fuelled sports cars and superbikes • Get adventurous with dozens of challenge missions and collectibles to discover

There are things that I wish were different about Just Cause 3. I wish there was a sprint button. I wish the aiming wasn’t such dirt. I wish that the writing and mission design weren’t so inconsistent, weird, and just plain bad. I wish that it gave you more ammo for rocket launchers, sooner. I wish the load times weren’t so excruciating. I wish that the game didn’t slow down so much when the screen fills with explosions. I really wish that it didn't slow me to being incapacitated when I'm hurt. I'd rather just die and respawn already.  

But that’s about it.

So... the explosions are amazing. If you're suppressing an inner destructive beast I highly recommend unleashing them on this game. The story line isn't the best I've ever experienced, but it's certainly good enough to keep me involved in the game on a level beyond just wreaking havoc. It's got a great soundtrack. The multiplayer competition piece is actually really cool. I love seeing myself slide up the rankings when I get a new "personal best" on any task. 

In an industry lousy with open world games, Just Cause 3 may be the only recent release that truly qualifies as a sandbox. You are Rico Rodriguez, the mildly charming, near-invincible protagonist with a nice pair of boots that I’ve been trying to replicate in reality. You’ve returned to your fictional home of Medici, a Mediterranean archipelago held captive under a brutal dictator’s thumb. After a short intro mission that starts with you firing RPGs standing on top of a biplane, you’re free to wander. And that’s what you’ll want to do.

LET ME GIVE YOU GUYS SOME LIBERATION!!! I AM LIBERATING YOU!! (As I blow the entire city up and shoot innocents in my crossfire)

The game’s heart lies in its pitch-perfect realization of screwing around, loosely organized around liberating Medici. If you go looking for more structure than that, you’ll hopefully wind up playing a different game. You spend your time, throwing grenades and watching the insane domino of massive explosions, calmly parachuting around a picturesque village firing rockets at loudspeakers, tethering weird things together and watching what happens, wing suiting through caverns and grappling into helicopters. You spend your time doing whatever it is you feel like.

So in summation, while others might not love the game, myself and my husband both enjoy it a lot. 

4.2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment