Seriously, for FUCKS SAKE. I can NOT believe I am STILL seeing this. How many of you ignorami legitimately want to be on the wrong side of history? Your grand kids are gonna be so ashamed of you.
Now, that I've gotten past my little tirade there. Here's the thing. I hated Bruce Jenner. I still strongly dislike/hate Caitlyn Jenner. The whole Jenner/Kardashian clan could be blown to smithereens and I would probably throw a party. Caitlyn is still giving into the media circus that is her life just as much as she always has, even when she was a he. However, atleast now some poor trans kid is sitting at home watching her, saying to themselves, "I can do this. I'm gonna be okay." So, atleast now she's using her ridiculous undeserved media attention for good. So, don't be a bigoted prick about it. You just look like a tool, and let me know who I should remove from my friends list. Her transition isn't a joke. Here are a few reasons why:
- A whopping 41% of people who identify as trans or gender non-conforming have tried to kill themselves. Find more on how that % breaks down here.
- One in five transgender people in the United States has been discriminated when seeking a home, and more than one in ten have been evicted from their homes, because of their gender identity.
- One in five transgender individuals have experienced homelessness at some point in their lives. Family rejection and discrimination and violence have contributed to a large number of transgender and other LGBQ-identified youth who are homeless in the United States – an estimated 20-40% of the more than 1.6 million homeless youth. Unfortunately, social service and homeless shelters that work with this population often fail to culturally and appropriately serve transgender homeless people, including denying them shelter based on their gender identity; inappropriately housing them in a gendered space they do not identify with; and failing to address co-occurring issues facing transgender homeless adults and youth.
- A recent report by AmFar,concluded that “trans women are 49 times more likely to be living with HIV than the general population.” While transgender men are less likely to be HIVpositive than transgender women, their rates of infection are still higher than that of the general population.
- Despite an increasing prominence of transgender people in the news/media in the vast majority of studies, transgender people have only been counted as their sex assigned at birth, which not only discounts their identities, but leaves them relatively invisible to public health officials and advocacy organizations working toward prevention, treatment, and related health care.
- Transgender people face extraordinary levels of physical and sexual violence, whether on the streets, at school or work, at home, or at the hands of government officials. More than one in four trans people has faced a bias-driven assault, and rates are higher for trans women and trans people of color.
- It’s estimated that over 134,000 American veterans are transgender, and over 15,000 trans people are serving in military today despite rules forbidding them to serve openly. DID YOU HEAR THAT? These are people who love their country SO much they are BREAKING THE RULES to fight and die to protect you. Seriously? Yes.
I do not have time to sit here and list all the issues facing transgender people today so here are some resources if what I've said so far is somehow not enough for you to realize that her name is Caitlyn, and it's important.
- This mom's snarky video about "The Facts"
Also, check out these super awesome trans people who are blazing a new frontier and are totally worth more of your time than some media whore.
- Please tell me you've already heard of Laverne Cox from Orange is the New Black.
- Bethany Black has been described Britain’s only goth lesbian transsexual comedian. This year she also became the first trans actor to play a trans character on British television in Cucumber and Banana. Follow her here, and check out some of her comedy here.
- Laura Jane Grace is mostly known for being the lead singer of Against Me! and generally being a total badass. You can follow her here and listen to her awesome music here.
- Madhu Kinnar is India's first trans mayor.
The list goes on and on I highly recommend checking out entirely amelia.